In 2013, I attended a health talk in Seoul, S. Korea where I first learnt about the importance of starting your day with protein. My mornings are my busiest time of day what with getting my family out the door, going for a run with my dog and planning my working day. For that reason, I choose to have a protein shake which is quick and easy and I can take out and about with me if needed.
5 Reasons to start the day with protein
- Skipping breakfast is linked with being overweight. Eating protein ignites your metabolism ready to burn calories throughout the day.
- Protein at breakfast helps you feel full for longer and is better utilised to create muscle mass than at any other time of day.
- Eating protein at breakfast helps stabilize blood sugar levels and helps prevent sugar cravings and snacking between meals.
- Skipping breakfast is associated with higher risks of developing chronic diseases like diabetes, metabolic syndrome and high blood pressure
- Taking good care of yourself should be the first item on your to-do list and having a well-balanced protein breakfast is a great way to start your day
My protein shakes of choice are SLM Smart or Biome Shake from Synergy Worldwide.
SLM Smart has three time release sources of protein from Whey, Casein and Soya and is available in Vanilla or Chocolate.
- Whey is the first protein to digest into the blood stream. First reported to be used 2,500 years ago, Hippocrates called it ‘Healing Water’. Whey boosts the immune system and is good for strength and endurance
- Soya is the second protein to reach the blood stream to fuel the metabolism and provide energy
- The third protein to digest is Casein. The slower release of protein helps you feel fuller for longer, stabilises sugar release and prevents snacking
Biome Shake is a vegan shake made from Pea Protein. This superb shake is excellent for gut health as it offers:
- Microbiome repair with amino acids from protein
- Contains inulin (from chicory root), which helps feed your friendly bacteria
- Biome shake also helps the body to detoxify by enhancing elimination with broccoli powder and zinc.
Super-Green Smoothie recipe
Here’s a fantastic Super-Green Breakfast Smoothie with added protein from one of my favourite new recipe author’s, ‘Clean Eating Alice’:
1 Large Kiwi, peeled and into chunks
½ ripe avocado, stone removed and flesh cut into chunks
1 tbsp of Live Greek Yogurt
1 handful of fresh spinach
Juice of 1 lime
¼ cucumber, peeled and cut into chunks
100ml of unsweetened almond milk
200ml of water
2 scoops of SLM Smart Protein powder OR 2 scoops of Biome Shake
Put all the ingredients in a blender (e.g. Nutribullet or Vitamix) and extract for 45 seconds. Enjoy!